Skip to main content
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 teasp. finely chopped shallots
- 4 tablesp. tarragon or white wine vinegar
- 4 tablesp. dry white wine
- 4 tablesp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 - 6oz butter, diced into 1 cm squares.
- Boil the first five ingredients until completely reduced and the pan almost dry but not browned.
- Add a tablespoon of cold water immediately. Take off heat and allow to cool.
- You should be able to touch the bottom of the sauce pan with you finger and easily leave it there for at least 5 seconds.
- Add in your 2 egg yolks and beat thoroughly.
- Then start to add butter, bit by bit stirring all the time.
- Tips: some people like to but the pot into a bigger pot of hot water when mixing in the butter effectively a Bain-Marie.
- When your adding the butter, if it is getting to thick, take off heat, if it is slow to thicken, increase heat.
- Ivan's Bernaise Sauce has a teaspoon of smooth dijon mustard and a tablespoon of cream added at the same time as the egg yolks. They are well worth adding!