Skip to main content
- 2 large egg yolks
- tablespoon of sugar
- 300ml cream
- Teaspoons of vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 220deg c/425deg f/gas 7.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Heat the cream with the vanilla essence until the surface begins to shiver, you must not allow the cream to boil.
- Pour the cream slowly into egg yolks, whisking all the time.
- Return to the saucepan and cook on a medium heat stirring all the time until it is thick enough to heat the back of a spoon; once again, it must not boil.
- Pour into your ramekin and chill overnight.
- Once the custard has set and formed a skin on top, heat your grill to maximum heat, sprinkle a generous amount of soft brown sugar over the custard and caramelize under the grill.
- It can burn very quickly so keep an eye on it.
- Cully Says: Soft Brown Sugar or Siucra Rich Dark Brown Sugar is the very soft sugar that is almost like treacle and melts really easily in a pan.
- We use it here as an easy alternative to making caramel.
- It also makes your healthy bowl of porridge in the morning irresistible, especially when mixed with some fresh milk or cream.