I am on a bit of a fennel buzz at the moment. It might have something to do with the pregnancy, but I can't seem to get enough of this highly under rated veg. Maggi Beer, the Australian chef, does this recipe using her Verjuice instead of white wine and also serves it with goats curd or you could use a soft goats cheese sprinkled on top.
- Cut the fennel bulbs into quarters.
- Seal fennel gently on both sides in a heavy pan, with some of the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add fennel fronds, lemon pieces, bay leaves, sea salt and ground pepper to the fennel, add the white wine and olive oil.
- Place the lid on the pan and simmer till cooked through. This should take around 20 minutes.
- If you feel the pan is getting too dry add a little more olive oil.
- Remove the lid from the pan, turn the heat up to colour the fennel and reduce the pan juices to a syrup.
- This will take around 5 minutes.
- I served this with pan grilled plaice but it would be great with almost anything as a side dish, or a warm salad for lunch with crusty bread to mop up the juices.