This is perfect with ham, turkey, chicken, guinea fowl, game or rough pates.
- With a zester remove the skin from the orange and half the lemon, make sure there is no white pith.
- Pop into a saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain off the water and discard, refresh the peel under cold water and set to one side.
- Squeeze the juice from the fruit and place in a stainless steel saucepan with the jelly and spices: allow to meltdown, then add the peel and port to the sauce.
- Boil it rapidly for 5-10 minutes.
- Test it by putting a little blob on a cold saucer, when it cools it should wrinkle slightly.
- Cumberland sauce may be served in a bowl right away or stored in a sterilized glass jar till needed.