Friends of ours, Dan & Jill arrived for supper on Sunday night with presents of 3 woodcock- Yum. Dan had plucked them so the pleasantries were out of the way. This is their recipe and it was simple, and unbelievably delicious:
- Butter the slice of bread.
- Place the buttered slice of bread on an oven pan with the butter side down- i.e. the butter is touching the pan.
- Place your woodcock on top of the slice of bread.
- Cover the woodcock with a rasher.
- Place in medium heat (about 160 degrees) for 35 minutes.
- We served it with celeriac mash, red cabbage and brussels sprouts.
- The woodcock was gorgeous but the slice of bread soaked in all the juices was orgasmic!