I think this recipe is better done the day before you serve it, as it just gets so much better with a good bit of resting time. Here we go:
- Place a knob of butter and a tbsp of olive oil into a really hot, thick bottomed saucepan and saute your onions until softened but not browned.
- Add the crushed garlic at the end and give a little cook.
- Then remove the onions and garlic and place in a bowl.
- In the same hot saucepan, add another knob of butter and olive oil and brown your meat.
- Do this in small batches. Don't cook it- just brown it!
- Once the meat is browned, add all the meat back into the saucepan.
- Then add the bottle of vino, the stock cubes, the water, redcurrant jelly, the onions & garlic and some salt and pepper.
- Then place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees celsius and leave to bask in glory for 90 minutes!
- Once this is done you can decide to leave it over night or leave it for the day.
- I add the mushrooms when I am reheating it so that you get their lovely texture.
- Before you serve it, if it is too watery you can thicken with some cornflour.
- To do this just place 2 tablespoons of cornflour into a small hot saucepan with some water and stir vigorously, making sure to get all the lumps out.
- Once all the lumps are out add this mixture to the casserole and you should see it thicken.
- Add more if you would like too- but not too much!
- Serve with baked potatoes, sour cream and red cabbage.
- It is unbelievably yummy. Enjoy......