This is not a true Soufflé but it is my favourite lemon pudding recipe. It is absolutely deeee-licious. The top should be light and spongy, the bottom should be a sticky lemon sauce.
- Grease a deep 15cm pudding dish.
- Using an electric mixer beat sugar and butter together very well.
- Then beat in the egg yolks, flour, zest and juice.
- Then add in the milk in a slow stream, beating constantly.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks and fold them into the lemon mixture as gently as possible.
- Pour the batter into the pudding dish and bake in the centre of a preheated 180C conventional oven for about 40 mins, or until top is rich golden brown and springs back when touched with the fingertips.
- Let the soufflé cool slightly and serve it warm by spooning out portions of both the top "cake" layer and bottom "sauce" layer with freshly whipped cream.