Skip to main content
LENTIL & SMOKED BACON SOUP
- 1 tablespoon green lentils
- 2 tablespoons yellow split peas
- 3 tablespoons red lentils
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- A good knob of butter
- 5-7 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of smoked or fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, chopped or 1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1-1 1/2 pints (500-750ml) of tasty chicken or vegetable stock
- A good handful of spinach, chopped
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A good pinch of salt, pepper and sugar
- Soak all the lentils together in lots of cold water overnight. Drain well and set aside.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and olive oil together. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes then add the onions garlic and celery. Cover and sweat until soft but not coloured on a gentle heat. Then add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, paprika, chilli, bay and mustard along with the stock.
- Increase the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender.
- Pulse with a stick blender a couple of times to break up the veg a little bit. Do not blend smooth.
- Add a bit more stock if necessary at this stage.
- Add the spinach and lemon and adjust seasoning.