- Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over the whole aubergines, put onto baking tray and roast in the over @ 220C for 40 mins.
- Roast chickpeas *These can be roasted at the same time as the aubergine
- Toss the extra 50g of chickpeas in 1 tsp of olive oil and pinch of smoked paprika and salt. Roast on a baking tray @ 220C for 20mins, or until crispy.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds together on a dry pan over a medium heat until aromatic but not dark and crush in a pestle & mortar.
- Heat a glug of olive oil and sweat the onion until soft. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Add ground spices and sweet paprika and cook out for 2-3 mins.
- Remove the aubergine from the oven, pop into a bowl, cover with cling film and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. This allows the skins to come away easier.
- Once cooled, halve the aubergines and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin but keep the smoky juices.
- Add the aubergine flesh and juices to the pot with the onion mix and add the chickpeas, beetroot and stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in lemon juice, tahini and honey.
- Blitz the soup in a food processor, or with a hand blender, until smooth.
- Reheat, adjust seasoning and add a little more stock if you’re looking for a thinner soup.
Chop fresh mint and coriander and mix with a little olive oil, to drizzling consistency.
Ladle soup into warm bowls, drizzle with herby oil and sprinkle with roasted chickpeas and pomegranate seeds.