*to make sugar syrup*
- Place 1 cup (220g) caster sugar in a pan with 1 cup (250ml) water over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has disolved.
- Increase heat to medium and simmer for 5 mins until slightly reduced.
- Cool - this can be kept in fridge for up to 1 month.
- Begin this recipe a day ahead.
- Place sugar syrup and 1/2 cup mint leaves in a saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from heat and stand for 30 mins to infuse.
- Meanwhile, place the watermelon in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pass through a sieve pressing down on all the solids to extract all the juice. You should have two cups (500ml) puree.
- Soak gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes until softened.
- Strain infused sugar syrup into a saucepan, discarding the mint leaves and simmer over high heat for 1 minute.
- Squeeze out any excess water from the gelatine leaves, then add the gelatine to the syrup mix, stirring to disolve.
- Allow to cool slightly and stir in the rum, lime juice and watermelon puree.
- Pour mixture into ice block moulds (ice pops), then divide the remaining 1/2 cup mint leaves among the moulds.
- Freeze overnight or until completely frozen.
- (Makes 15 ice pops)