- Sweat the onions in a knob of butter with salt and pepper until nice and soft.
- Add the tomatoes, picking out any green or hard bits.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add stock.
- Cook for another few minutes.
- Add sugar, and season to taste.
- When everything is soft, liquidise really well, then sieve.
- Finally, just before serving add cream and freshly chopped basil.
- Tip - Make sure you liquidise this really well while it is still hot.
- Don't ask me why but when we tried liquidising it cold, it split the soup and made it a nasty, fake looking orange!