- Fry the chicken in the butter in a heavy-based saucepan with a lid, in batches if necessary, until you have them well browned and nicely seasoned.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside while you fry the bacon and onion until it is starting to caramelise.
- Add the garlic and herbs, mix really well then put the chicken back in.
- Add the stock and put a lid on it.
- Cook on a very gentle heat for about an hour.
- When you’re ready to serve, chop the chicory and add it to the pan, along with the crème fraiche.
- Mix well, and after a few minutes check the seasoning and serve.
- This is great with some mashed spuds or our cheesy parsnips!